Manage your research projects online
REDCap is a secure, web-based application for building and managing online research projects. It uses an intuitive, streamlined process for rapidly developing data entry forms in support of many types of research projects, such as surveys, chart reviews, clinical trials, longitudinal cohort studies and more.
Using REDCap significantly improves data quality and security. It also eliminates the need to develop other project databases, which can be expensive and time consuming.
Key Features of REDCap:
- Secure and web-based – input research data from anywhere in the world with secure web authentication, data logging, and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption.
- Multi-site access – REDCap projects are managed by the Principal Investigator and their research team, so access can be extended to collaborators from multiple sites and institutions.
- Fast and flexible - simple form design tools allow you to create a production-level database quickly, often in less than one day.
- Quality assurance – built-in tools allow for automated data management, such as data validation, branching, and stop actions.
- Import Data – easy tools for importing data from external sources to begin a study or to provide mid-study uploads.
- Export Data – simple data export functions support multiple file formats (SPSS, STATA, SAS, Excel, etc.); including downloadable data dictionary.
- Scheduling – use the built-in project calendar and scheduling module to organize events and participant appointments.
- Ad Hoc Reporting - create custom queries for generating reports to view or download.
- Randomization – create or link to randomization schemes
- Mobile app – the iOS and Android REDCap mobile applications allows data to be collected offline via tablets and smartphones.
- Local – REDCap servers are locally hosted at the University of Alberta and University of Calgary – so your data stays in Alberta!
REDCap FOR UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA AFFILIATED RESEARCHERS
Through collaboration with the Women and Children's Health Research Institute (WCHRI), the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, and the Northern Alberta Clinical Trials and Research Center (NACTRC), this important research support is available to researchers in Edmonton and surrounding areas. Initial project setup and training sessions are provided free of charge.
Regulated Clinical Trials
WCHRI, in collaboration with the Maternal Infant Child & Youth Research Network (MICYRN), maintains a validated instance of REDCap for use in Health Canada regulated investigator-initiated clinical trials. This instance of REDCap will meet regulatory requirements for electronic data systems and includes an appropriate set of standard operating procedures (SOPs). A $250/year system access fee is charged for use of the validated version. If your investigator-initiated clinical trial requires a clinical trial application (CTA) with Health Canada, use of the validated instance of REDCap is strongly recommended.
Additional Support Services
For project teams who have available funding and require additional support services, WCHRI, Alberta SPOR SUPPORT Unit, and EPICORE Centre are available to provide a number of value-added services including database development and data management
REDCap FOR UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY AFFILIATED RESEARCHERS
Located in the Cumming School of Medicine at the University of Calgary, the Clinical Research Unit (CRU) offers research data support to University researchers as a faculty-wide resource.
The CRU at the University of Calgary is a vendor for the Electronic Data Capture platform REDCap, a browser-based application designed to support various types of research endeavours, including clinical studies, trials and surveys. With the growing need to facilitate processes surrounding clinical and translational research databases, REDCap is becoming a highly lucrative tool in the Academic Research Community. The platform is free, secure, and easy to learn with a comprehensive set of training materials at your fingertips. Depending on your research project needs, REDCap has mirrored interfaces for either de-identified or secure data collection. The CRU provides access to both of these under two separate instances: Self-Serve or Supported — meaning we can either grant credentials for independent use, or take on a project requiring support in areas of database design, management and analytics. Data security and integrity are always a priority , so all REDCap data is stored in the University's high performance computing hub and backed up daily.
For more information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Support Services
For project teams who have available funding and require additional support services the Clinical Research Unit is available to provide a number of value-added services including database development and data management.